Wednesday, January 12, 2005

Hump Day

So, after months of neglect, I am going to make a concerted effort to update this sucker.

Teaching is filling me with thoughts, and I find that letting them out is difficult.

Yesterday I had what I thought might be a "breakthrough" conversation with a student. I see Dante about once a month, maybe. I really tried to break him down and get to the bottom of why he doesn't come to school, why he refuses to try when he does. I got him to commit that if nothing else, he would come to school today and we would talk again at the end of the day.

He didn't show up.

Neither did the father of one of my extremely troubled students, despite his promise to do so. Despite the fact that I waited around after school because he said that was the only time he could come. Despite the fact that he didn't call.

He daughter said, "I knew he wasn't going."

So it goes. Tomorrow is Thursday and there's work to do.

1 Comments:

At 12:47 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good to see you're back online. I have a little tab full of blogs on my browser. "Full of" meaning yours, mine, and three others.

Seeing parents of students today makes it easy to imagine our students as parents tomorrow. And that's hard to handle.

Keep on writing. Go Mets.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home